Sunday, March 10, 2013

Slow Cooked Lamb (Another Disaster)


It looked so pretty in the photo. Juicy, still pink. A leg of lamb, flavoured with lemon and herbs and garlic and slow cooked in the oven for five hours.
This is what it was meant to look like (image courtesy Jason Thomas)
 
And before I put mine in the oven, it didn’t look too bad either.

Well, it looked like it had potential

But then I cooked it and this is what happened.

Ummmm, yum?


‘What happened to the chicken, Mummy?’ asked my three year old (we call all meat chicken, because they’re more likely to actually eat it).

‘Nothing happened to the chicken,’ I snapped. ‘It’s meant to look like this. Caramelised…’ I muttered.

‘Sure it is,’ said my husband. ‘Needs gravy.’

He was right.

The outside with the lemon and oregano and fennel seeds tasted great. It was just the inside bit that wasn’t. I had overcooked it: how un-Australian.
Lamb is NOT meant to be brown all over

 
My thoughts:

Now I need a recipe to use up half a leg of slightly overcooked lamb… any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think... comments are yummy.