Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tic Toc Teacups (Let's Do The Time Warp)


My friend and I were discussing this extremely important topic just this very morning: when is something ‘cooking’ and when it is merely ‘assembling’? I claimed that ‘cooking’ is when you cannot undo what you just did. She felt that her husband making a dinner with pasta, a BBQ chook, some feta and herbs wasn’t cooking. I thought it was. Stephen, you owe me one.
So, you may wonder then if these biscuits belong in a cookbook. There’s not actually any cooking per se. I had them on the menu for Miss Three’s Birthday Party and even though they look simple, by the end, I really wish I’d had a drink. These deserve the cooking mantle, and I deserve a gold star for being Mum of the Year.

The ultimate in little girl dainties

The ironic thing about this recipe – probably the simplest in the book, is that you can’t substitute for the majority of ingredients: marshmallows, Tic Toc biscuits, musk lifesavers. And do you think I could find Tic Toc biscuits at my local Woolies? Not on your life. I had to send my hubby off to distant parts to hunt and gather this essential ingredient, only to discover then I couldn’t find musk lifesavers.

Anyway, once I got that sorted out I decided that rather than make icing to glue everything together, I was going to use leftover melted white chocolate from my disastrous attempt at cake pops. But that is a different story.

So while my Five year old watched with a critical (and hungry eye) and my husband kept trying to pinch marshmallows, I took out all the white and pink Tic Tocs, thus relegating the yellow ones to the cookie jar, to end their days soggy and forgotten in the cupboard.



Dip a marshmallow in the chocolate, dip it in the sprinkles, turn it over, dip it in the chocolate and stick it to the biscuits. Wipe up spilled chocolate. Eat a marshmallow. Repeat. Cut lifesavers in half, try and not cut fingers, stick in the chocolate. Stick to the side of the marshmallow. Repeat.




I wipes the blood up before I took this photo

Now there are two types of people in the world. Those who find these types of jobs cathartic and allow their minds to wander off to more important things. And those who freak out that the lifesavers aren’t sticking and every time they get distracted they dip both ends of the marshmallow in the sprinkles and so end up eating six chocolate and sprinkle covered marshmallows.

That second group of people, not only wind up very stressed, but with a stomach ache.

Best you can’t guess which group I’m in.

So they look pretty cute, don’t they. We’ll see what the kids think.

Later that day:

The kids thought they were pretty cool.

The adults thought they were awesome and ate most of them before the kids even got there.

WINNER.




 
 
Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to find more out about the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think... comments are yummy.